September 10, 2008

baked eggs

the breakfast of champs


there's something about a sunday morning breakfast that's so cozy to me. i love waking up later than usual, getting into my robe and heading to the kitchen to get the pot of coffee brewing and breakfast cooking.
my latest favorite sunday breakfast is baked eggs. i blog-searched baked egg recipes, until i realized that a baked egg is simply that: a baked egg. there really isn't a recipe for it.
the oven preheats to 350ยบ and you can get started on the rest.
i got out my ramekins, rubbed them down with butter and cracked an egg (or two) into it. sprinkle some kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste after that. you could leave it as simple as this, but i wanted more of a cheesy herb flavor, so i also sprinkled some oregano and grated mozzarella cheese on top.

i had a few slices of texas toast in my freezer and popped those into the oven as well.
so as not to end up throwing out wasted tomatoes, i added the tomatoes and mushrooms into a ziplock bag, added some olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and shook it up to coat.

i arranged it all onto a baking tray and into the oven it went for about 8-10mins.

along with a good cup of ecuadorian coffee, i would say this is the breakfast of champs!
if only i could have it every morning...

cPe 2008

8 comments:

WSSS admin said...

Candyce, this is fantastic in its simplicity. Definitely something we would all enjoy here on a Sunday morning (or a busy weeknight). Thanks for sharing; the pics were fab as well.

http://rhymeswithcamera.blogspot.com

Karen said...

I adore baked eggs for dinner along with a salad and good bread. We haven't had them in a while... thanks for reminding me!

I'll also try your wasabi sauce for my salmon cakes... sounds great!

Meg said...

This looks delicious!

test it comm said...

Those baked eggs look like a nice way to start the day.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

That's a great breakfast. Add a couple of dashes of hot sauce on it, and you're good to go!

Anonymous said...

What an elegant breakfast to warm up to. The addition of oregano is perfect. Beautiful!
It's breakfasts in bed like these that will never get me out of the bedroom!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! But I can't tell if you scrambled up the eggs or left them whole - either way thought this is going on my must try list, thank you!

Rabbittrick said...

This sounds puuuuuurfect....!
Love. I think I'm going to have one right this moment.